Monday, January 7, 2008

A New Experience

Today I did something I haven't done in ten years. I cold-queried agents. Bolstered by the support and advice of my friends and husband, energized by a new idea for a non-fiction project, I googled and spreadsheeted and perused, and then I sent off my seven little queries.



Just doing that made me feel pretty happy. Every time I clicked "Send" I got a little sicker and a little more interested. I had this idea for the book two weeks ago, and I wrote the chapter list this weekend. Today I worked on the query letter, incorporating significant wisdom and womance from Susannah, and sent it off. So far I've had two positive responses. The next step is to write the book proposal and send that.

This afternoon when I went upstairs, the light coming in the window in the bedroom looked kind of different. We are having a weird kind of indian summer here in Virginia. Or it's because I put my foot on a different kind of pedal than I have put my foot on before. This is not the strange, amorphous pedal of clove smoke and brain waves that is literary fiction. Sometimes pressing on that pedal gives you a sore throat, or a poodle, or a trip to Paraguay. This is a firmer, brighter, more substantial pedal that you can actually see and feel, and if you exert pressure on it, it actually moves according to the Newtonian laws of motion.

At least, that's the impression I have today.

11 comments:

  1. Hey LostCheerio, thanks for that Google Mind link, very interesting, I will write something on that and credit you for the inspiration.

    Thanks again,

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds cool! Kudos for putting yourself out there, they say it's the hardest part. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good lukc with the submissions. It takes courage to put yourself out there. Just keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your submissions!! It's such a nervewracking time, waiting for responses!! I'm glad you've already received positive responses!! I hope it goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos for taking that step! Good luck with the rest of the process!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too cool. That takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, but it is the very security of a project that works according to set rules and laws that prevents me from taking a chance on fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on submitting your chapter and ideas! I love the way you phrased the bit about the pedal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luck and determination make all the difference. Keep on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently found your site. Sending out queries or submissions always makes me happy too! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An experienced astrologer Sarla Devi doesn’t only furnish the tips, but gives the information how to use them in your daily life. Before follow the guidelines and implementing in your life, it's terribly necessary to gather the knowledge properly concerning the following tips.

    Inter Caste Marriage Problem Solution

    ReplyDelete